[I don’t feel like writing a meme today, so don’t expect one.]
Award-season, ’tis ‘pun ‘s. Or something. I’m bad at old-talk. What’s much more interesting is that the The Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction Award Shortlist has been announced*. And the nominee list is once again illustrous**:
- Paul Theroux for A Dead Hand
- Nick Cave for The Death of Bunny Munro
- Philip Roth for The Humbling
- Jonathan Littell for The Kindly Ones
- Amos Oz for Rhyming Life and Death
- John Banville for The Infinities
- Anthony Quinn for The Rescue Man
- Simon Van Booy for Love Begins in Winter
- Sanjida O’Connell for The Naked Name of Love
- Richard Milward for Ten Storey Love Song
*Also, best reaction to the nomination ever:
“Frankly we would have been offended if he wasn’t shortlisted,” said Anna Frame at [Nick Cave’s] publisher Canongate.
**I don’t know if I should be offended or honoured that there’s only one woman on this list…
Disclaimer: I haven’t read any of the books, so if some things aren’t as weird in context, I won’t know.