Okay, just to start with: I’m using a rather broad definition of Martial Arts here. What I mean is fights that are artfully choreographed, not necessarily that it’s flawless karate/jiu-jitsu/whatever. Most are done with some kind of weapon.
And here shall be a warning: some of these scenes are pretty gruesome. If you’re squeamish, better skip this post.
Well, with that out of the way, let’s get to it.
10. Jet Li and Evil Henchmen in Romeo Must Die
For most creative use of a hose.
9. Jason Statham and Evil Henchmen in Transporter 3
For one of the most interesting stripteases ever.
8. Christian Bale and Taye Diggs and Evil Henchmen in Equilibrium
For making gunfights interesting.
7. Uma Thurman and Evil Henchmen in Kill Bill
For stylish gore.
6. Stephen Chow and Evil Henchmen in Kung Fu Hustle
For making me laugh.
For a double pack of female awesome.
4. Vincent Cassel and Evil Henchmen in Les rivières pourpres
For best use of a video game soundtrack.
3. Min-sik Choi and Evil Henchmen in Oldboy
For gritty reality. [Well, almost.]
2. Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne in The Matrix
For the cult.
1. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung Chiu Wai in Hero
For beauty. [Honestly, it could have been pretty much any of the fight scenes in Hero.]